Wednesday 6 July 2022

TV Shows and Movies I've Enjoyed Recently

 
image source

We're halfway through 2022! Between all the assignments and uni events I've been so caught up with, I managed to squeeze in a few movies and TV shows (most of which I watched during procastination-hour but we're not gonna talk about that xP ) !


I'm very picky about which movies/tv shows I watch because I tend to get bored very easily (thanks to my short attention span), but I'm also very easily influenced. If I see people raving about a certain movie/tv show online, I would definitely want to see what all the hype is about. So here are a few shows I've watched recently that I managed to finish and that I actually enjoyed!


1. Snowdrop [K-Drama]

oh my god this K-Drama tore my heart apart! T^T I kid you not when I say it took me a week to get over this drama. I couldn't stop crying during the finale episode even though I already expected the ending. And I can actually feel the pain in my heart! 

okay, before I rant on, here's a short excerpt about the synopsis from wikipedia: 

Snowdrop takes place in 1987, a pivotal year in South Korean history that included the June 1987 Democracy Movement, a mass protest movement with the purpose of forcing the dictatorship in South Korea to hold fair elections, and the resulting December 1987 democratic elections, which led to the end of the authoritarian Fifth Republic of Korea and the establishment of the democratic Sixth Republic of Korea.

I don't really watch Kdramas which centers around politics but I decided to give this one a chance since Jisoo from BlackPink is the main cast. And oh goodness it does not disappoint! I definitely came because of Jisoo, but I also ended up getting attached to every one of the casts AND the storyline! Everyone plays their role so perfectly I just love them so much! T.T

This is also the drama in which I fell in love with Jung Hae In! Oh my god I LOVE HIM! ok honestly I never really like him in his previous dramas, which I found out is because he always plays the "soft boy" role. But oh-la-la he was so jaw-droppingly hot in Snowdrop I literally fell head over heels for him!

This is definitely one of the most heart-wrenching kdrama I've ever watched. And I dislike heart-wrenching kdramas (I don't like being sad T^T) but I would watch anything, and I mean ANYTHING if there's Kim Jisoo in it! I am so looking forward to more of her acting projects! Also, I am confident JungHaeIn and KimJiSoo is dating irl! no one can convince me otherwise! (Yes I ship them really hard, their chemistry in Snowdrop is AMAZING)

But as much as I love this kdrama, I don't think I can rewatch it again anytime sooner. I don't think I can put myself through that much pain again T^T. Maybe someday in the future when the pain doesn't sting anymore. :') </3 
~~~

2. Bridgerton Series (Season 1 and 2) [Netflix Show]

image source

okay I definitely watched this because of all the raves on twitter. And they did not lie! I can't believe I did not watch this series sooner! Here's a short excerpt of the synopsis from wikipedia:

Bridgerton is an American historical-romance streaming television series based on Julia Quinn's collection of novels.It revolves around the eponymous Bridgerton family and set in the competitive world of Regency era London's ton during the social season where marriageable age children of nobility and gentry are launched into society.


Ugh this show is just so SO good! I could not get over it! And I'm just so glad it has more upcoming seasons coming! I hope it will have as many seasons as Grey's Anatomy (nope, I haven't watch the show. All I know is that it has A LOT of seasons xD). 

I especially lovee Lady Whistledown. Imagine the power that she has! She can literally stir up a community just through a newsletter! I love how scandalous everything is! haha

Other than that, I also love how strong and authoritative the women are in this series. In the era where a woman is considered lower than men, these women shows their strength in how they handle society - through parties, by making plans to marry off their children, by their way of handling scandals. Having skills to handle society and making sure your name is not tainted with dirt is definitely a skill too. And I adore them for it.

I also love the fact that this show is very inclusive! No racisms, just vibe. I love it so much! All these makes me want to splurge on the novels that this series is based on, but I found out that netflix made some changes to the details so I'm not really sure if I'm gonna love the books as much as I love the show :/ .
~~~


3. My Liberation Notes [K-Drama]

image source

Ahh My Liberation Notes! This one has a special place in my heart! I also wanna thank all the raves from TikTok for influencing me to this kdrama. My Liberation Notes is a slice of life kdrama. It's about normal people navigating through life and learning lessons alongside of it. 

An excerpt from wikipedia:
My Liberation Notes tells the story of three siblings (Lee Min-kiKim Ji-won, and Lee El) and a secretive stranger (Son Seok-koo), who want to escape from their dead-end lives.

There are so many memorable quotes from this kdrama, some of my favourite lines are:
"I don't care where I'll go after I die, I want to see heaven while I'm alive"
"Trees, winds and rocks don't irritate us."
"Even if I thought I did a good job, if they said no, all the work I did would go down the drain."
"Do I have to have a goal? Can't I just live my life without one? I can't force myself to live for something I don't desire."
"I think I've come far enough. This isn't the right path for me. I don't have to force myself to keep walking on it."
This kdrama also has a lot of symbolism throughout the episodes. I couldn't understand some of it but thanks to the smart people on Twitter and reddit I was able to understood what they meant. This definitely adds more spice to the kdrama. I can't wait to rewatch this drama again just so I can get the feeling of "ohh I now understand what you mean by this"!
~~~
4. Everything Everywhere All At Once [Movie]

image source

wow. just wow. This will definitely hit close to home if you grew up in a conservative asian household. In terms of the execution of multiverse, some people say that this is much MUCH better than Marvel's Multiverse of Madness. But I  can't confirm that as I only watched one of the Marvel's movie but it is no denying the storyline is very interesting and unique. Here's an excerpt from wikipedia

Everything Everywhere All at Once is a 2022 American absurdist comedy-drama film written and directed by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (collectively known as "Daniels"), who co-produced it with the Russo brothers. It stars Michelle Yeoh as a Chinese-American woman being audited by the Internal Revenue Service who discovers that she must connect with parallel universe versions of herself to prevent a powerful being from causing the destruction of the multiverse

I also have to thank TikTok again for convincing me to watch this. It is so SO good! I don't really watch a lot of movies since they're only 2 hours long, so the storyline would seem rushed off and most of the time I feel like there's not enough chemistry between the characters (2 hours is too short of a duration to build chemistry unless the storyline is well written). But this movie overcome all of that! It proves to me that there are still some worth watching movies out there and I just need to choose them carefully!
I also really love the concept of multiverse in this movie. How every action of yours leads to a different version of you. In this movie, the main cast - Evelyn, has tried myriad of different hobbies but she did not managed to succeed in any of them. But as she soon finds out, there are other universes where she actually succeeded. In one universe she managed to become a successful singer, in another she is a successful martial artist! There's a few more weird and unique universes (in one where she happens to be a rock), and it was so interesting to watch and to think about! I just really love this movie and I could watch it over and over again! 

~~~

5. Spy x Family [Anime]
image source

And last but not least, is Spy x Family! Okay I don't watch animes. The only anime I watched past the first episode was Haikyuu. And I LOVED that one. I'm so glad I found this anime to add into the list too!

So Spy x Family is based on a manga with the same name, it's about a spy who has to build a family for a mission that he was assigned to. So in order to do that in a short time, he adopted a little girl named Anya (who happens to be a mind reader), and he also found a woman to get married to (who happens to be a skilled assassin). But both of the parents have no idea what each other actually are. 

This is a very interesting anime about a family trying to act as a "real family". It's so funny too! I really enjoyed watching this anime that after watching the whole released episodes, I immediately searched for the manga xD. And I finish reading all the released manga in less than a week! (it's still ongoing so we can look forward to more of them! Yeay!) I am that obsessed!

~~~~~~~
Some honorary mentions:

These are TV shows I watched but it didn't really "stayed" in my heart. 

1. Our Beloved Summer [KDrama]


image source

A cute story about highschool sweethearts! I almost stop watching it halfway through the show because it just isn't my kind of thing. But I managed to stay until the end! Kim Dami is so pretty! I had decent time watching this kdrama but I'll probably never going to rewatch it again.
~~

2. WandaVision [Television Mini Series]

We love powerful women. This tv show is so heartwrenching. I definitely watched this because of Elizabeth Olsen xD. Overall it's good. Just not my kinda thing.

3. Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness [Movie]


The only reason I watched this is because I had to accompany my younger sister to the mall because she wanted to hang out with her friend. So I decided to kill time by going to the cinema while waiting for her. It is good though ngl. Just, once again, not my kinda thing :/. But I definitely enjoyed my 2 hours in the cinema!




Post a Comment