Monday 4 October 2021

My Thoughts on the novel Heartless by Marissa Meyer (MAJOR SPOILER INCLUDED)

⚠️ WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. ⚠️

I just finished Heartless by Marissa Meyer and oh god... How did such a good beginning has such a tragic ending? Reading this book truly felt like going down a rabbit's hole. It is an adventure, though it ended in a loud thump, I landed on my ass and the pain shot through my heart.

I love Marissa's writing style in this book. It made me feel welcomed, almost like home. Though I also think the oddity and variations of characters helped a lot in giving out that vibe. It's because of this that I think why this book is such a page turner for me. It made me feel good, and I like that a lot. 

Catherine, is a good, obeying daughter. I like her interest in baking and her dream of opening a bakery and become Red's best baker. But I dislike how she could not stand up for herself, how she couldn't say no to whatever that is against her heart's will. I dislike how obedient she is just because she don't want to disappoint her parents. Although I know she's not entirely to blame for her actions. She was raised to be obedient I think, judging from both of her parents actions.

But I like her better after Jest is dead and she seeks for vengeance. I love how she shouted at Mary Ann, I wish she would say "You were the one who is supposed to be dead" out loud for her to hear instead of just thinking about it. I feel the most satisfaction when she told Mary Ann that the dream of opening a bakery was never Mary's as she only agrees to it only when she wore the Hatter's magical hat. I never thought of it that way until Cath said that. And I couldn't agree more. Not to mention when Cath finally talk back to her parents, the satisfaction I felt was immeasurable. And another satisfactory moment I find is when the King couldn't find a way to reject Catherine. Now he felt the same thing that the previous meek Cath felt because of him. I'm disgusted by the king. His giggles and his every utterance makes me want to kick some sense into his head. I wish I could tell him how disgusting he is. 

The Hatter is a dear. And it is tragical what happened to him and I wished for a different ending. Why am I in the universe where the ending for the Hatter is this sad? :( But I don't think this will be such a memorable book if it ended in a happy ending. And Alice's Adventures in Wonderland might simply not exist if the ending was pleasant, for there will be no Mad Hatter. That made me feel a little better. 

Jest is the dearest. He is kind, and is not selfish, and is the sweetest boy ever. He is setting up an impossible standard for the men in the real world to climb. Any how, he's nice. Nice in a way that made him reserved a spot in our hearts. There are a lot kinds of niceness, you know, some niceness in characters are the type that makes you go aww once and then you will forget about them. Jest is not that kind of fictional men. He leaves an imprint of himself in your mind and set up a higher standards for your taste in men. Which I am not complaining about.

Another characters that caught my attention is the Treacle Sisters. I like their riddles. And I like them. They are weird and scary and kinda fun. And I like how they made an exchange with Cath. Another character that is worthy of mention is Sir Peter.. I want to know if he actually really love his wife. And the last character that I am curious about is the Mock Turtle. What makes him so miserable?

There. These are my thoughts on the book and the characters. I sound bitter don't I? I find satisfaction in anger and vengeance. But they deserves it. I find joy in Catherine's anger and striking it to those who have hurt her before, but I did pay the price of not being able to see Catherine happy with her bakery and a long life with Jest as companion. So there's that.

I'm going to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland next. I've read it once long ago, but I didn't like it back then. Let's see if anything has changed this time.

Post a Comment